Wednesday, April 28, 2010

To Citi Field for a Met Game

And from David, on his commute to Citi Field for a Met game:

I recently went to a corporate charity day to see the Mets at Citi Field.  I took the Number 7 train, the most convenient transportation from my office on an overcast day with a threat of drizzle.

 As the local rumbled from station to station, we emerged from the tunnel into bright sunlight.  I was enjoying the ride and looking forward to watching the ball game when cell phones appeared from everywhere.  Within two short stops, I was trapped in an international phone booth surrounded with oppressively loud conversations in Spanish, Russian, Chinese and a bit of Brooklynese.

I thought of a dozen ways to silence these obtrusive conversations but none without getting into an altercation, so I resigned myself to suffer through the rest of the trip.  Good fortune smiled upon the car as at the next stop the doors opened and a four-piece Mariacchi band appeared—replete with two big guitars, a large bass and an accordian.  They immediately broke into a great version of La Bamba much to the chagrin of the cell-phone conversationalists.  All calls quickly ended before the next stop, but  as soon as the band exited, re-dials were hit.

Lady luck smiled on us that day, as at the very next stop, an elderly woman entered and began playing a horrible version of La Cucaracha on an ocarina.  Cell phone conversations abruptly ended again and the rest of the ride was peacefully quite.  Some days, even bad music on a subway is a blessing.   

No comments: