Sunday, February 21, 2010
A Dog Story
This is not quite a commuting story, more of a dog walking story. In Riverside Park I met Annie and her fluffy beigeish dog, Picca. We walked from the park where Picca had been sitting for a very long time gazing at a tree, hoping for a squirrel sighting, to Lenscrafters at 107th and Broadway. Just as Annie and I were saying good-bye, a man in a leather jacket turned to ask if that was Annie's dollar bill on the sidewalk. She said no, and asked me. I said no. Then she asked another woman walking down the street if it were her dollar. She checked her zippered silver clutch and said no. Suddenly, there was a second dollar bill. And a five. "Dollars from Heaven" does not have the same mellifluous sound as "Pennies from Heaven," none-the-less, that is exactly what three green wing-like bills landing on the sidewalk appeared to be. The man again suggested the money must belong to one of us. And so we picked up the bills, handed the five to the woman with the silver clutch and divided the two singles between us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thank you, Beth -- what a lovely depiction of the events. It was very much a New York moment. I honestly believe we are all in this together, and clearly you, and the cast of characters in our drama this afternoon share this notion. If this had happened anywhere else, I'm guessing people would have been fighting for the bills...but here in Gotham, we share everything: air, subway car space, elevators, dog poop bags, bus space, and time on line (that is, standing in line waiting, which we do a lot of in Gotham). Many thanks again for your lovely tail -- I mean, tale!
Cheer, Annie & Picca (aka "La Piccola Grande")
Post a Comment