Wednesday, December 2, 2009

6:13 to Chappaqua

My alarm was set for 5:20 does not go off. At 5:55 I wake. The train to Southeast leaves the Harlem Station at 6:13. I consider waiting for the 6:56 which will make me late for work. By 5:59 I'm dressed and out the door, the elevator down takes another minute, a cab is pulling up to the corner of 108th and Broadway at 6:02, and the driver in a knit turban that seems to hold enormously long, braided hair, speeds me to the station at 125th and Park Avenue. I think we'll make it. We're stopped at every light on 125th. Money for the fare is in my hand. I ask the driver to make change before I even pay him. He gets a $2.00 tip for a 9 dollar fare. The trains whistle blows as I'm mounting the metal stairs to the platform. I arrive up breathless. It's the 6:09 to Stamford. My train arrives in 4 more minutes. Maybe I could have bought a cup of coffee.

No comments: